Identity Confusion: I don't know what personality disorders I haveFri, Jun 27th 2008
hi, well i have a problem, it seems that going to a Psychologist has got me thinking that i wasn't who i thought i was. i thought i was antisocial, but then i realized i had guilt so i wasn't that, i was recently in the ER for spontaneous suicidal tendencies. so i'm seeing a psychiatrist for meds for depression and anxiety, i was released and now i feel empty i feel like i don't know who i really am, i do have symptoms of antisocial,paranoid,borderline,schizotypal -schizoid, narcissistic. but i cant really nail any "one", of them. my therapist isn't really giving her thought on the whole thing and i feel i am left to go insane. my dad has mood swings, my mom was suicidal and drank and smoked a lot and as a result died at 36, she was on meds for a few things-unsure of what that was. my uncle on my mothers side was a fire starter. so with a mouthful said can you lend some insight? thank you.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.