OCD TreatmentMon, Nov 5th 2007
Dr. Schwartz, I am told I have a severe case of OCD/perfectionism/GAD and I am considering intensive treatment now. I am looking into the Westwood Institute with Dr. Gorbis. I know you used to work over there and wanted to know if you had any insight or any thoughts as to whether that is a good place to go to treatment. I know it\'s expensive but my parents are willing to pay in order for a better future for myself. Most of my OCD is pure obsessional and perfectionistic thinking, lots of checking, reassurance seeking and so forth. Any thoughts or input would greatly appreciated. P.S. I am 26 and read your book when I was 16 when I was first diagnosed, I am glad you wrote it because it helped me be so much more aware of the OCD. I do find myself confused and unable sometimes to discern what\'s OCD and what isn\'t, something I find to be my biggest battle.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.